Thứ Tư, 8 tháng 8, 2012

Shaping the Filament Tip for Loading

It is relatively important to shape the tip of the filament correctly before loading in any 3D printer.  The filament for the Cube is no exception.  Mike asked how I do this.  So, I thought I would mention several ways one can shape the tip correctly.

Since I'd had a 3D printer before the Cube, I'd already found ways to shape the end of filament using several different tools.

Flush Cutters

A micro flush cutter is a small cutting tool with cutting surface that is flat on one side.  This makes for a very clean cut.  Rio, a supplier of jewelry tools and supplies sells many varieties.

Micro Flush Cutter
 

Right out of college, my daughter set up a well equipped jewelry studio in our home.  It's still here.  As it became clear that shaping the tip of filament was important, I had a lot of tool choices close at hand.  Flush cutters will work.  But, it takes several cuts at different angles.

Nail Emery Board

The least expensive option is a simple emery board normally used to shape nails.



Emery Board

ABS filament is relatively soft and shapes very well.   For under $2.00 you usually can buy a set of boards with several different grits.

Dremel Sanding Wheel

Few tools are as versatile as a Dremel rotary tool.  This is my tool of choice in shaping the end of the filament before loading into either of my 3D printers.

Dremel Rotary Tool with Grinding Stone

The grinding stone attachment makes short work of shaping ABS plastic.. But, a light touch is a must.  Otherwise, it will melt the plastic.  Light touches as you go around the tip tip on all sides does the job very, very well.  Sanding wheels would also work well.

Obviously, these aren't the only ways to get the job done.  But, they represent 3 different approaches that I know work.

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét