Thứ Hai, 17 tháng 11, 2014

Cube 3: Rundown of Outstanding Issues to be Resolved

Prior to the 1.08 firmware update, there were some gap issues with early machines due to a difference in height between the right and left printjets.  Any negative effects of this seem to have been resolved by the new ability to calibrate affected machines. 

It was further corrected in subsequent machines by a new die for creating the printjet housing.  It is my understanding that ALL machines now being released should have perfectly level printjets.  I have no idea what serial number reflects the change; but, since the firmware and calibration seems to have successfully addressed the issue with earlier machines, I consider no longer an outstadning issue.

However, there is one issue that remains and that appears to be totally related to the cartridge.  The end result is clogging, which usually could always be traced back to a poor gap.  However, in this case, it seems the issue is that the extruder can work so rapidly and forcefully that the current filament can strip leaving the extruder to be unable to feed properly.

OK.  So, here's the good news ans the bad news. 

First, the bad news.

I'm getting enough reports that, along with personal experience, tells me it's a common problem right now.  However, it's not 100%.  I was able to use one cartridge right down to the end without a clog. 

Now, the good news

Those users with which I've spoken, seem to be of the same opinion that the issue is exclusively within the cartridge itself and has no cause in the basic machine design.  That really is good news for me, because correcting the problem can be addressed either with a new filament compound and/or a redesign of the extrusion system in the cartridge.  I know for a fact that 3D Systems has brought new filament producing capabilities into the 3D Systems family.  This should mean greater quality control over the filament production and finishing process.   If filament weakness is the culprit, we should be seeing some new filament in the pipeline to address that weakness.

When?  I have NO idea.  But, I'm betting that it will be soon.  And, as soon as I know, you will know.

The other good news is that the Cube community includes some brilliant, analytical minds.  I'm trying to team with as many of these individuals as possible to get their feedback on their own field results to see if we, as users, can add some eyes, ears and gadgets to provide feedback to 3D Systems as to which designs might cause the most trouble or which colors seem the most reliable.

Call, Write, Call...

The best way you can help yourself and the entire Cube 3 community is to let Cubify Support know about any issues you are having.  They WANT to hear from you. 

The bottom line is that I do not expect this to be an issue for very long.  I will post when I know for sure that it is completely behind us.

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét